Thursday, July 15, 2010

Uniting for the Cure


I hope to live long enough to witness the cure for breast cancer. In memory of those who’ve lost the battle, for those who are still fighting and for every woman I know, I have committed myself to the Susan G. Komen 3-Day walk for the cure. For those of you not familiar with this event, participants will walk 60 miles over 3 days to raise money for breast cancer research and support programs. That’s right, 60 miles, 3 days…I can do this!

The statistics are frightening:

· 1 out of every 8 American women will develop breast cancer at some point in her life
· Breast cancer is the leading form of cancer death among women ages 35-50
· 250,000 US women living with the disease are under the age of 40
· 8 out of 9 women who are diagnosed with breast cancer have no family history of the disease
· 70% of women who develop breast cancer have no identifiable risk factors

Finding a cure is imperative! More than likely, you have been affected in some way by this disease. Here’s your chance to make a difference. I have until 22 Oct to raise $2,300 to qualify for the walk. I am determined to reach this goal! Let me tell you how you can help. I have set up a widget on this blog that will link you to Amazon. Many of you already frequent this site. If you simply shop Amazon through Avid Readers Unite, 100% of the referral fee will go towards the cause. I just purchased our July selection, ‘Look Again’ by Lisa Scottoline! Another option is the fundraiser through Scentsy Wickless Candles. Buy from the Breast Cancer 3-Day party and 25% of your purchase will be donated. Lastly, you can simply make a donation—no amount is too small. Any help you can provide will get me that much closer to reaching my goal and a little closer to finding a cure for this awful disease. On your mark! Get set! Go!

Stay tuned for updates on my progress! So much work to do! =D

*If you’ve lost a loved one to breast cancer and are interested in adding them to the memorial slideshow I’m creating, please forward their name and a photo (if available) to www.avidreadersunite@live.com.

Inspiration

No comments:

Post a Comment